Follow by Email

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Dining with Unruly Children

Last night, we went to Stroud's for dinner. As usual the food was wonderful, but the atmosphere was lacking. There was a table close by with three unruly children and 2 very ignorant parents. Instead of taking the children out of the situation, the parents were yelling in the restaurant. We were totally shocked by the behavior of the entire family. If you can't control your kids, don't subject others to their behavior. Get a sitter; or if no one can stand to be around them get your food to go.
I am so tired of people thinking that their children can run free through a restaurant, not caring that other people are being disturbed by this. I'm tired of children standing up in the booth and placing their grubby little hands on the back of my head, that's why they offer high chairs. Parents may find this cute, I find it to be disrespectful.
I'm all for families getting out and enjoying a great dining experience, but remember that you are in public and you need to behave differently. You can be savages in your own home, but use common sense and manners in public.

3 comments:

Annie Jones said...

I'm with you on this. Our 6-year-old granddaughter lives with us, and we recognize there are just some places that she's not ready for yet. She can usually handle a sit-down restaurant, but sometimes she's just too wound up to hold still or behave well enough for one. We try to gauge this before we go, but if we make a mistake, we have our food boxed up and leave. No one should be subjected to unruly kids (or loud parents)...including us.

Shannon said...

amen. I completely agree. In fact whenever I have an enjoyable experience around children in public, or see good parenting behavior I make sure I compliment the parents. As a person who works in behavior modification I make sure to positively reinforce those who are doing the job they decided to have.

Foodie32 said...

Couldn't agree more. Parents these days need to use better judgment about what restaurants are geared more as kid-friendly, loud, messy playgrounds (e.g. Salty Iguana - Prairie Village) vs adult dining havens. I realize Stroud's, as a fried chicken place, is a tempting place to take kids, because they'll probably love the food, but that doesn't mean parents can be lazy and let their kids squirm and scream their way to the point that they ruin other people's dinners out.
If the parents' take is "Hey, it takes a village..." then may I reserve the right, as part of that village, to inflict some of my dad's old public humiliation and rear-end-pain punishment tactics? They certainly taught me to be respectful to others when in public places...
www.kcnapkins.blogspot.com