Sunday, March 15, 2009

Snickerdoodles

When I was younger, my sister Beth and I made snickerdoodles all of the time. We both loved them for their flavor and the ease at which they could be made. They are still one of my favorite cookies, but I have not made them since those childhood days. I got out my Joy of Cooking and found a recipe that looked easy and promising. Once I had the batter made up though, I ran into a few problems. The dough was very light and impossible to roll into balls. I decided to refrigerate the dough in order to harden it up some. It took about 30 minutes to get to the correct consistency for rolling. Then as the cookies baked they flattened and spread into each other on the baking sheets. The flavor was good, but a little buttery for my taste
and the cookies were thin and crispy, not what I remembered from the past. I asked my mom about them and she said we used the Betty Crocker version, so next time that is what I will try. Here is the recipe that I used.


Snickerdoodles


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets . Whisk until well blended:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Beat in a large bowl:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
Add and beat until well combined:
2 large eggs
Stir in the flour mixture. Combine:
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Shape dough into 1 1/4" balls, roll in cinnamon and sugar and arrange 2 3/4" apart on baking sheets. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are light golden brown at the edges, 12 to 14 minutes. Let stand briefly, then remove to wire racks.

1 comment:

BG said...

Those snickerdoodles look good. The picture really caught my attention because I first thought they were pancakes. I have been on a pancake craze here lately. Banana pancakes with syrup. Not just for breakfast anymore.
Hope you are doing good.