Monday, January 12, 2009

Scalloped Potato Gratin


I have tried many scalloped potato recipes in my time and never had any real success until this recipe. My mom wanted them for Christmas day, so I searched foodtv.com and found this recipe from Tyler Florence. Tyler never let me down before, so I thought I would give it a go. The end result was perfect. They weren't runny or clumpy, just creamy and tasty. The only thing I did differently was to top the gratin with mozzarella instead of Parmesan. My mom hates Parmesan, so I only used it on the inside layers and then gave it a good handful of mozzarella on top.
Scalloped Potato Gratin
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Leaves from 1 sprig of fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Butter
2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup gated Parmesan, plus more for broiling
Preheat oven to 375.
In a saucepan, heat cream with thyme, garlic and nutmeg.
While cream is heating, butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of potato in overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan. Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Michael! I'd like to invite you to take some time to drop by at Foodista and share your delicious recipe with us. We have launched an online food and cooking encyclopedia ala wikipedia.

We also have a small embeddable widget that will help you build traffic from Foodista-related pages. Check it out here.

Carrie said...

These look delicious and fairly easy! I am adding it to my grocery list, you always inspire me!
Thanks!

jan h said...

Mike,
I love your blog of cooking..........I can't wait to try several or all of the great recipes.