Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Frosted Devil's Food Cookies


I came across this cookie recipe in the Sunday paper coupon section and thought I would give it a go. I felt the cookies were just okay, but Dan took them to work and everyone there loved them. They seemed a little on the gummy side to me. The ones that I made sandwiches with tasted the best. I probably would not make them again unless I was in a pinch for time. The recipe calls for Reduced Sugar Chocolate Fudge Frosting, but I opted for vanilla.
Frosted Devil's Food Cookies
1 (18.25 oz.) box Pillsbury Reduced Sugar Devil's Food Cake Mix
1/3 cup Crisco shortening
1/3 cup cold water
1 large egg
1 (15 oz.) container Pillsbury Reduced Sugar Chocolate Fudge Frosting
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with no-stick cooking spray.
Combine cake mix and shortening in a medium bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until a coarse meal forms. Add water and egg mixing on low, until a smooth dough forms. Shape into 5 dozen 1-inch balls. Spray bottom of a cup with non-stick spray and flatten each cookie into 2-inch round.
Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until center is firm. Cool 1 minute and remove to cooling racks. Spread with frosting. If desired, sprinkle with decorative candy bits.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

These look wonderful!