Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Eating With the Elderly

I was invited, along with the 2 women I work with, to a lunch at our favorite resident's home. She has us over every year and we love her dearly. She is 83 going on 21. She dresses and acts like a young person, keeps herself tanned year round and has incredible energy. Her husband, unfortunately, is starting to succumb to Alzheimer's.

We arrived at her home and her husband presented us each with a glass at the door. We proceed to drink the golden liquid and question it's unusual taste. I thought it was sparkling cider and Karen thought it might be wine. We asked our hostess what we were drinking and she said sparkling grape juice. Karen asked her where she got it, because it did not taste like any she had ever had. Our hostess replied, that it was given to them 13 years ago when they moved in. We each quietly sat our glasses down and looked at each other with shocked horror.

We then sat down to a nice lunch of tasty and spicy chili. All I could think was, how old was the beef, tomatoes and beans. If I got gas would they produce 6 year old farts? Would I be sick or end up with some exotic new sickness? Other than some indigestion,I was fine and the company was great!

No comments: