Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Chicken and White Bean Soup

This is such a simple recipe and very good. I received an offer from Eating Well magazine and decided to check out their website( www.eatingwell.com) to see if I would like their magazine. The website has tons of recipes and they all look easy and good. Needless to say, I subscribed to the magazine and look forward to receiving it, along with all the others. I made a few changes to the recipe, I used 1 leek not 2 , I added 2 cloves of garlic with the chopped sage, I used a 32 ounce box of broth and one cup of water and I added a little salt and some black pepper. I will post their recipe so that the nutritional values are the same.

Nutrition value:
6 - 1 1/2 cup servings 199 calories, 6 g fat, 52 mg cholesterol, 16 g carbs, 23 g protein, 4 g fiber

Chicken and White Bean Soup

2 tsp. olive oil
2 leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
2 14 ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in sage and continue cooking until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and water, increase heat to high, cover and bring to boil. Add beans and chicken and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Serve hot.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

No comments: