Monday, April 21, 2008

Drunken Pintos with Cilantro and Bacon

On Saturday night, our friend, Stacy invited a group over to her house for dinner.She made some great fajitas and we all had a really good time. I asked her if I could bring over one of my favorite bean dishes and she said yes. This recipe comes from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen. I love his cookbooks and his restaurant in Chicago. I altered the recipe a little bit this time, but will print the original. I added extra beans and cooked chorizo this time, but actually prefer the recipe as written.

Drunken Pintos with Cilantro and Bacon

8 oz dry pinto beans
1/2 cup (2 oz) cubed pork shoulder (or extra chopped bacon)
4 thick slices bacon, cut into 1/2" pieces
1 small white onion, diced
1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and chopped
Salt, about 3/4 tsp.
1 1/2 Tbsp. tequila
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro

Rinse beans and place in 4-qt. pot. Add 5 cups water, remove any beans that float, then add pork shoulder or extra chopped bacon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium -low and gently simmer, partially covered, until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Stir the beans regularly and add water as necessary to keep liquid a generous 1/2 inch above beans.
In a medium skillet, fry bacon, stirring until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon. Pour off all but 2 Tbsp. of drippings and return pan to medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno and fry until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Scrape onion mixture into beans, taste and season with salt. Continue simmering to blead the flavors.
If the beans seem to soupy, boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until the consistency of a nice, brothy bean soup. Just before serving add tequila and cilantro and serve topped with crispy bacon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever made this with canned pintos?

cookinginkc said...

I have not made it with canned beans, but you certainly could! It would be easier and save time.

amy said...

hi this is actually a question about a super old post - a delicious looking crock pot pot roast...I stumbled upon it via the fancy foodblogsearch.com. anyway - did you really do all the prep the night before, including brown the meat? I'd love to do this because I hate waking up earlier than I have to, but I'm worried about texture.

thank you! this pinto recipe looks like I'll be giving it a try as well!

cookinginkc said...

Amy,
Yes, I did all the prep work, including browning the meat the night before. I'm like you,I don't have enough time to cook in the morning and doing it the night before is much easier.