Monday, June 30, 2008

Sloppy Giuseppes


I used to have this great recipe for an Italian version of Sloppy Joes and lost it. I decided to recreate it and this recipe turned out just as good, if not better. The beef and Italian sausage mixture tastes so good on a toasted Hague. The recipe is simple, so it's perfect for a weeknight dinner and will make six nice sized sandwiches.
Sloppy Giuseppes
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small shallot, minced
1 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. bulk Italian sausage, crumbled
2 (8 oz) cans of tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
6 slices Provolone cheese
6 Italian hoagie buns, sliced and toasted
In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallot and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beef and sausage, cook until cooked through and browned. Drain fat from pan and return to heat. Add tomato sauce and Italian seasonings, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Add some crushed red pepper for some added heat if desired.
Serve on toasted hoagies with Provolone cheese.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had the ones you used to make and they were yummy!

Anonymous said...

Mike, Everything you make makes me sooooooooooo hungry! Have you ever tried using a Big Green Egg smoker/grill? I am curious about how well they work. I am so spoiled from the memory Granny's brisket and want something I can grill, smoke, bake etc on and this looks to be the answer - Let me know what youv'e heard
Your cousin, Melinda

cookinginkc said...

Hey Melinda,
I do not have the green egg, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have some friends who swear by them. I have Granny's old Hasty Bake and the memories swirl when I heat that bad boy up. It smells like the old sun porch!