Friday, January 12, 2018

Gluten Free Instant Pot Lasagna

If you haven't joined the Instant Pot bandwagon, it's time to hop aboard. Not every recipe is a time saver, but you can do so much with it. I've prepared many lasagnas over the years and this is now my favorite way. When you are cooking for two, you get two good meals and less headache and clean up. I admit that I was skeptical about this technique, but I have embraced it. Taking the sides off of the spring-form pan was scary the first time, but the end result is a beautiful layered, baked pasta dish. I have tried different combinations for this recipe and I have landed on all sausage. The first time I used all ground beef, but felt that it lacked texture and flavor. The next two times I went with a half ground sirloin, half Italian sausage blend and was satisfied with the flavor and texture. This last recipe, I went with all Italian sausage and decided it was the winner.
In the past, I have always made my own sauce, but to save time I went with a jarred sauce. Going with a pricier jar was the logical choice for me, knowing that it would come closer to homemade. I found this Michael's of Brooklyn Home Style Gravy at Sprouts and it comes pretty close to home made.

Gluten Free Instant Pot Lasagna 

Ingredients
  • 1 lb bulk  gluten free Italian sausage
  • 8 oz ricotta cheese
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese - divided in half
  • 1 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. Italian spices
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Gluten free lasagna noodles
  • 1 jar gluten free pasta sauce
Instructions
  1. Using Saute function, brown Italian sausage, breaking up the clump. Remove to plate lined with paper towel to drain.
  2. Mix ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 egg, and spices.
  3. Line bottom of 7" spring form pan with lasagna noodles, broken into pieces to fit the pan.
  4. Add enough pasta sauce to cover the noodles.
  5. Add layer of half of meat mixture.
  6. Add layer of half of cheese mixture.
  7. Repeat with another layer of noodles, tomato sauce, ground beef, and cheese.
  8. Top with layer of noodles, and additional tomato sauce.
  9. Add remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
  10. Place trivet in Instant Pot insert, and add 1.5 cups water.
  11. Loosely cover pan of lasagna with foil to keep out water.
  12. Place lasagna pan on top of trivet in pot.
  13. Lock lid on pot, and set valve to seal. (make sure to insert the silicone ring)
  14. Press manual, 20 minutes high pressure.
  15. When finished cooking, allow to naturally release (NR) pressure - approximately 10 minutes.
  16. Remove lasagna after pressure releases. Broil on high for a few minutes to brown cheese, watching so that you don't burn the top.
  17. Let rest for a about 5 minutes, run a knife along edge to release and remove ring.
  18. Slice and serve with additional sauce.

No comments: