Monday, November 27, 2006

Trezo Mare Ristorante

This past Tuesday night, Dan and I decided to try the newest restaurant to open in the Northland, Trezo Mare(4105 N. Mulberry Dr. KCMO 816-505-3200) . Trezo mare is Italian for Treasures of the Sea. This is one of the new restuarants opening at Briarcliff Village. The restaurant is beautiful on the inside and has great lighting(you can actually read the menu).
After we were sat at our table, our waitress arrived and offered us a free welcome glass of Proseco. Never ones to turn down a free glass of bubbly, we accepted what was a very nice pour. Our waitress suggested the Tempura Lobster and Asparagus as a starter. It was one of the pricier appetizer items at $17.00, but well worth it. There were 2 lobster tails and 4 pieces of asparagus, all lightly battered and fried. Dan had the Crisp Romaine Salad($7.00) and I had the Fire Roasted Tomato Bisque($6.00). The salad was a large portion of romaine lettuce leaves, drizzled with a nice light dressing and topped with shaved Parmesan and white anchovies. The soup was incredible, you could taste the fire roasted tomatoes. Dan ordered the King Alaskan Salmon($18.00) with a Wasabi-Ginger burre blanc and a side of Gnocchi in a Fontina-truffle sauce($9.00). The salmon was a little on the salty side, but the sauce was very nice and not overpowering. The gnocchi was the best part of the meal. It was served in a flaming bowl and was enough that we could have shared. I ordered the Small Beef Filet($28.00) and the Yukon gold smashed potatoes with roasted garlic($6.00). The steak was good, but pricey for the portion and the potatoes were perfect. For dessert Dan ordered the pumpkin Creme Brulee($7.00) and I had the Poached Pear($7.00). Both desserts were very good. We each had 2 glasses of wine and I had a cup of coffee with my dessert. Before tip the total was $140.00!. Definitely not an every night dining location, but great for special occasions. You could actually get out of there paying less. We thought it would be a great place to sit at the bar and order wine and appetizers. The overall experience was very good and we will go back. The presentation on all the plates is great, without being showy.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog! Good job!
My blog is
http://life-is-just-a-phase.blogspot.com/

m. said...

Went to Trezo Mare and a similar experience ... TOTALLY overpriced and ALL the food was EXTREMELY salty ... I could barely eat the crab bisque. I had a spinach salad and the dressing had a very high sodium content. The scallops were the best part of the meal but the prawns were once again, WAY TOO SALTY. I was surprised to hear that the chef had as much experience as he did when it has been my experience that a meal loaded with salt comes from inexperience in the kitchen. It was too bad because I had high hopes for this type of restaurant in KC. I wouldn't go back as the price tag was too hefty for such a high sodium experience!

Anonymous said...

If you dont like food with flavor you should stick to eating bland and boring food

Anonymous said...

So is this strictly seafood or can my meat eating husband fine a good steak. Some how I thought with the Italian name there would be some pastas offered?

cookinginkc said...

They do offer steaks, that is what I ate. Trezo Mare means Treasures of the Sea, so it is mainly a seafood place.

Anonymous said...

Had dinner there last night. Michael is right. I've never had food at this level of place that was so salty. If I hadn't been with work colleagues, I would have sent almost all of it back. Particularly bad were the lobster ravioli and the sous-vide black cod. My mouth was absolutely puckered at the end, and I LOVE salty food. In fact, I'm the kind to ask for the salt shaker in many nice places, especially with starches.

Too bad, because the technique was otherwise 100%. Fish and meat were both cooked to total perfection, temperature-wise. But how do you oversalt scallops all the way to the center? I don't get it.

Anonymous said...

I have been in to Trezo Mare a couple of times since they have been open. I have always been very satisfied, one plate of the many that I have tried, was on the salty side. I brought it to the attention of my server and it was rectified immediatly. Did either of you that had "SALTY" experiences bring it to anyones attention? If not, you should have. It has been my experience that management and staff is always visible and really cares about feedback, positive or negative.
As for the price, they are one of a few restaurants in the area that actually serve fresh seafood. You get what you pay for, if you don't appreciate the quality, or notice the difference, maybe it's not the place for you.

cookinginkc said...

My food was not over salty at all. We totally enjoyed the food. This place is worth checking out, if you like fresh seafood, plus they serve great steaks for those of you who want something different.

Robert G. said...

My wife and I had the best dinning experience in KC. The atmosphere was good, the service was the best and the food was exceptional in taste and freshness. The presentation was something you don't see in KC. The chef came over to the table to ask how we were doing and if everything was satisfactory. I am retired Navy and have had the opportunity to eat at restaurants on both coasts as well as foreign ports and Trezo Mare rates up at the top.
Go Back -- You Bet

Anonymous said...

I too am a fan of Trezo Mare - in particular the bar area. It is a great place to have an appitzer and a few drinks. I find the staff to be very friendly and helpful however, not really impressed with te chef. He did come by our table but was less than interested in our feedback. He was more concerned with defending his menu. At the prices they charge (they are worth it) they need to be open to suggestions. The success of any restaurant will depend on the attitude of the chef.

cookinginkc said...

We keep saying that we will go to the bar and have drinks and appetizers, but have not yet done it. Glad to hear that you enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Trezo Mare is without a doubt one of my favorite spots in Kansas City. I have never eaten in the dining area but have always enjoyed the atmosphere in the bar. Their bartenders are the best and I have no idea what anyone is talking about regarding salty food??? My food has always been fantastic!

Jack E said...

Dinner for both of us was excellent Sat. night. One of the best dining experiences we've had in KC.

Salty comments must have been earlier in the Restuarant"s career. I ate there then and it is much better now.

Anonymous said...

Had a horrible experience for lunch there during the end of December. Emailed Patrick Quinlan but he never returned an email or call. The food is horrible and Martin is the worst waiter. Took him 10 minutes to come to our table when there were only 4 tables full in the whole restaurant. Brought the wrong soup and it took 45 minutes to get our food. I also saw the cook testing the soup temp with his knuckles...gross. Too many restaurants in KC for this one to survive. They think some free wine during the opening will make everyone come back...think again. WHEN ARE KC PEOPLE GOING TO DEMAND GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE??? You all seem satisfied with mediocrity here in the Midwest. The waiters I talk to here in KC are satisfied with a 10-15% tip...Anything less than 20% on either coast is unacceptable and the service proves it. Enjoy your overpriced food and lousy service...Wonder why restaurants are closing at Legends? BAD SERVICE! See you soon Trezo Mare as you close your doors in the next 12 months.

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like you are looking for a free-bee, Mr. Anonymous. If you were truly dissatisfied with your experience you would have left a name. I feel that because you didn't leave a name your anonymous messages are throughout the KC area restaurant blogs that didn't fall for your bogus complaints. Been there done that quite a few times haven't you? Fast food ever hear of it?

Unknown said...

Extremely overpriced for such a boring and salty meal. My scallops were too salty and were on a bed of artichokes that included the outer leaves that were unchewable. The waitress instead brought me the mushroom risotto and it was crunchy. We did order from the First Seating menu and were not aware that that was the bargain food. Definately not a bargain. The tomato bisque was very salty and the flavor reminded me of BBQ sauce. The appetizer was panko popcorn shrimp and should not be listed as laungostine.

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you