Friday, April 27, 2007

Italian Meatballs

I never prepare my meatballs the same way, just like my red sauce. This is the recipe I used last the last time. I typically make them a little spicier, but these were very good. I prepare the spaghetti sauce in the same pan as the meatballs, so that the wine deglazed the pan and all those nice brown bits from the meatballs were incorporated into the sauce.

Italian Meatballs

1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground lean beef
1/2 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 fresh grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil

Place all ingredients into a bowl and lightly mix, careful not to overwork the meat. Form into 1 1/2" to 2" balls.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in a large 12 inch skillet. Brown the meatballs, in batches. Turn to brown on all sides and remove to a large baking pan. When you have browned all the meat, place the baking pan in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and add to spaghetti sauce and cook for 30 minutes longer.

No comments: