Friday, February 1, 2008

Beef and Bean Chili

I made this chili last night with ingredients that I had on hand. Since I had a couple of leeks, I used them instead of using an onion and the chili turned out really good. I used a spicy garlic olive oil to saute my veggies and that added another nice layer of flavor to the dish.

Beef and Bean Chili

2 leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced (2 Tbsp)
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. ground sirloin
1 1/2 Tbsp. Ancho chili pepper powder
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
1 (14 oz) lower-sodium fat-free beef broth
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar

Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven on medium heat, add the leeks, garlic and peppers and saute for minutes to soften, stirring often. Add the beef and cook until browned. Add the chili powder and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

No comments: