Saturday, March 29, 2008

Dutch Genever Cheese Soup

I came across this recipe in an old Gourmet or Bon Appetit and thought it sounded interesting. I decided to prepare it last week and was not all that impressed with the flavor. The recipe did not call for any seasoning other than the optional chives and gin, both of which I used and I added salt and pepper to taste. That helped somewhat, but the recipe was still on the bland side, so I picked up the hot sauce and gave it a couple of good shakes and it turned out okay. I really thought that adding the beaten eggs to the boiling broth would cause them to curdle, but they actually made the soup nice and smooth. I would not make this again, but thought that I would post the recipe as printed.

Dutch Genever Cheese Soup

4 cups unsalted chicken stock
5 eggs
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 1/3 cups grated Gouda cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped Dutch ham or other lean ham
3 Tbsp Dutch genever or English gin (optional)
2 Tbsp snipped fresh chives

bring stock to boil in heavy large saucepan. Beat eggs and cream in large bowl until smooth. Stir in cheese and ham. Slowly pour into boiling stock, stirring constantly. Pour in gin if desired, stirring to incorporate. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with chives if desired.

No comments: