Friday, May 30, 2008

Grannie's Iris

These iris are from my Grandmother's old iris terrace. She had some of the most incredible flowers. After she died, I was visiting with my Grandpa and I asked him about the old flowers. He said he mowed them down because he could not take care of them any more. I went out back to her old garden and was amazed that some of the iris were still there, tiny and struggling to grow. I used a kitchen soon and dug some of them up in the pouring rain and transplanted them at my new home. I think of Granny when they bloom and took some of them to her grave site this year with my Mom. Granny was a great gardener, cook and she inspires me today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you took them. When i see Iris' I always think of Granny.

Gina

BG said...

Nice gnome to the right of the Iris. Do you have a collection?

cookinginkc said...

I have three, they are kind of cheesy but they make me smile.