Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pasta With Pancetta and Broccoli


This was a very simple recipe that I prepared last night. The recipe may have come from Gourmet magazine, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. The recipe should have been prepared with orecchiette, but I didn't have any so I used cellentani. The orecchiette would have held the topping much better, but sometimes you gotta go with what you've got. The magazine recipe also called for a 10 oz box of frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained and patted dry. I used fresh broccoli that I steamed in the microwave first. This dish would be great with broccoli rabe if you can find it at your grocery. I used to grow it in my veggie garden, but gave that garden up, because I was tired of fighting the rabbits, deer and squirrels for the produce. This recipe serves four.
Pasta with Pancetta and Broccoli
3/4 lb. pasta
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, smashed
3 Tbsp. pine nuts
3 oz. pancetta, coarsely chopped
5 scallions, thinly sliced
10 oz. fresh, steamed broccoli
Fresh grated Parmigiano- Reggiano
Cook pasta in pot of boiling salted water until al dente. While pasta cooks, heat butter and oil with garlic in a 12 inch heavy skillet over medium high heat until garlic starts to sizzle. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until pale golden. Discard garlic and stir in pancetta and scallions, cook 1 minute. Add broccoli and a 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and cook over medium high heat, stirring, four minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, drain pasta and stir into broccoli mixture. Add some reserved water to moisten if needed. Serve with grated cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely delicious and very healthy, too.