Friday, May 30, 2008

Ranchero Stuffed Shells

Once upon a time in a land far, far away......Well, it wasn't all that far away, (it was Grandview after all), I had the perfect job. The perfect job for me, that is. I was the Associate Product Manager for the cooking line at The House of Lloyd. I was able to work with some of the best people ever and deal with food related items. I was involved in coming up with new products, testing the prototypes, writing up the use instructions and catalog descriptions and coming up with the recipes for the product and for the website. I was constantly going through cookbooks and magazines looking for recipes that I could rework and I have so many of those recipes still. The one I am posting is from that time. I reworked it , but will redo it again. The shell stuffing is perfect, but the sauce needs help.
I left my job at The House of Lloyd before they finally closed up. My boss there was the worst boss a person could ever dream of, seriously. I called her Ugzilla behind her back and lost a minute of my life each time I had to come face to face with her. It was really too bad because everyone else that worked there were incredible. "Diane" had some major issues, though and I could only take so much of her. I learned so much there and will always think of it as "my perfect job".

Ranchero Stuffed Shells

1 (16 oz) package jumbo pasta shells, cooked until barely tender
1 lb. ground turkey
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried cilantro
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp. cumin
2 lbs. ricotta cheese
1/2 lb. sharp cheddar, shredded
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 Tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
1/2 tsp. black pepper

For sauce, heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic and onion and cook until lightly browned. Add turkey and brown. Drain grease. Add tomatoes and green chiles, tomato paste, oregano, cilantro and cumin. Cook until heated through. Combine cheeses, eggs, chopped parsley and pepper in a bowl and stuff into shells. Place a layer of sauce in the bottoms of 2- 11x13 inch baking pans. Place shells, stuffed sides up into pans, keeping in one layer only. Spoon remaining sauce over shells, bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

No comments: