Friday, May 25, 2007

Blueberry Cobbler

I have never been a big blueberry fan, don't ask why, I don't really have an answer. I think I have never really tried them before and I came across 2 cobbler recipes at the same time and thought why not try them. I kind of combined the 2 and this is the resulting recipe. It's fairly easy to make, I do need to invest in a pastry blender though. Giada always uses a food processor to make her doughs, that might have worked with this recipe. Maybe I'll try that next time. I would also like to try this using fresh berries when they come into season as opposed to the frozen ones, but they did taste good.

Blueberry Cobbler

2 12-ounce bags frozen blueberries, thawed
1/3 cup plus 5 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8x8x2 baking dish.
Mix blueberries with 1/3 cup sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of flour. Spoon into baking dish.
In large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups flour,3 Tbsp. sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into mixture using a pastry blender. until it resembles coarse meal. Add milk and vanilla and stir with a fork to form a sticky dough. Drop rounded spoonfuls of dough over blueberries to cover them. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tbsp. of sugar over cobbler and place into oven. Bake 40 to 45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our family never really had the blueberry pie or cobbler thing going...it was always peach cobbler.

Gina