Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Semolina Pizza Crust


I have started going through one of my favorite old cookbooks and trying out some of the recipes again. Great Good Food by Julee Rosso, has wonderful lower fat recipes that taste great. Last night I decided to make the pizza crust and quick tomato sauce recipes. This turned out to be the best pizza crust I have ever made. The dough was light and soft and the sauce was perfectly seasoned. I had to add water to my dough , it was too dry. I did this by wetting my hands and then continued kneading until I had the desired consistency to my dough. I dived my dough into 2 pieces and made a thicker crust. I wrapped the remaining dough in plastic wrap and bagged it, then placed in the freezer. I will thaw it and make another pizza next week.
Semolina Pizza Crusts
1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 cup semolina flour
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
olive oil
Place 1 cup warm (110 to 115 degrees) water in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook, sprinkle in yeast and sugar; stir to combine. After 5 minutes mixture should be foamy. Add flours and salt to yeast mixture, and mix until dough is relatively smooth. Lightly flour a smooth surface. Remove dough from bowl, place on surface, and knead by hand for 10 minutes. If the dough is too wet add small amounts of lour if to dry add drops of water. The dough should be smooth and elastic. Lightly wipe a large bowl with olive oil. Place dough in bowl, turning to coat with oil; cover with plastic wrap and set aside in warm place to rise for 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in bulk. Preheat oven to 450. Lightly spray or wipe individual pizza pans or large baking sheets. Punch down dough, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Let dough rest for 20 minutes. On a floured surface flatten into 4 10 inch discs using your fingertips. Place on pan and top with sauce and toppings. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crisp.

No comments: