Thursday, May 10, 2007

Manicotti w/Creamy Tomato Ricotta Sauce & Beef


As I walked through Target searching for dinner items, I decided on manicotti. I also decided to use a jarred sauce so that I could work in the yard when I got home, instead of standing in front of the stove. Since I'm not the biggest fan of jarred pasta sauces, I decided on checking out some of the more expensive ones. They carry a line from Italy by Lucini and I decided to try their Creamy Tomato Ricotta Gourmet Sauce. I then purchased a lb. of ground beef that I would brown, season and top the pasta with before adding the sauce. The sauce was actually pretty good, nice and creamy and flavored very subtly. The jar was 19.6 ounces, so I placed 1/2 cup on the bottom of my baking dish, added the pasta, topped it with the leftover cheeses filling and beef, the rest of the sauce and 1 cup of mozzarella. I actually should have used 1/2 pound of beef since I halved the recipe, but it was still very good. I covered the baking dish with foil and baked it for 40 minutes, removed the foil and baked for another 10 minutes.

Seasoned Ground Beef

1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp. Italian seasonings
1/2 tsp. dried minced garlic
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper

Mix the seasonings with the beef and brown in a skillet. Drain the grease, before topping the pasta.

No comments: