Friday, June 1, 2007

Creamy Polenta

I based this recipe on Giada DeLaurentiis' basic polenta from her Everyday Italian book. In the past I would buy the special box of polenta and follow the directions. I saw Giada make hers with regular ol' cornmeal and thought that's gotta be cheaper and better. Well, you know what, it is cheaper and better. I used the leftover beef broth from the brisket recipe and added water until I had 6 cups. I then topped the polenta with the tomato sauce from the beef.

Creamy Polenta

6 cups water
2 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups yellow cornmeal
4 or 5 grinds of black pepper
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/3 cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream

In a large, heavy saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt, then slowly whisk in cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pepper, butter, cream and cheese. Serve.

No comments: