Monday, June 18, 2007

Thai Place Northland

The Thai Place has recently opened a Northland location, Yea!!They are located in the old Yia-Yias building at I-29 and NW 64th Street. We were sad when Yia-Yia's left, but are glad that something good has moved into the space. They have changed the decor and reupholstered the furniture. When we walked in , I saw the old pizza oven and thought what a waste. But to my surprise, they offer Asian Wood Fired Pizzas!! I decided on the Chicken Peanut Pizza, but was saddened when the waiter told me no pizza tonight. Oh well, it just gives me a another reason to return.
For a Sunday night, after 7:00 PM, the place was pretty quiet. That's too bad, because the food is excellent. This is the 5th restaurant that they have opened in KC and we typically go to the downtown location, Arun Thai Place Grill. It's great to have something other than a national chain to dine at.
We started with the Springroll Deluxe($7.95), you get 2 springrolls and 2 eggrolls, along with 2 dipping sauces. Both are incredible, but my favorite is the springroll. Dan ordered the Panang Curry with chicken ($12.95), his usual. This dish is a little rich for me, all that coconut milk and peanut sauce goes a long way. I ordered the Spicy Thai Basil fried Rice ($11.95). I asked for it to come a little between mild and medium and boy was it ever spicy. Next time I will stick with mild. The flavor was great, but you could definitely see and taste the hot peppers.
We were happy to see that they have Stella Artois in bottles and that is what Dan had. I ordered a special martini, not typical of me , but it sounded good. It was their own clove infused vodka with apple juice and slivers of lemon grass, very tasty indeed.
Overall, we had a great experience. The service was good, the restaurant was spotless and the food presentation was great. The food was, as always, very good. I will be back to try out the pizza.

No comments: