Monday, March 19, 2007

Chocolate Espresso Pudding Cake

This is such a rich cake, you'll have a hard time believing that it's low fat. There is no oil or eggs in the recipe, just 2 tbsp. of butter. You'll make this cake over and over , it's so easy. Serve it warm topped with fat free vanilla ice cream or fat free whipped topping.

Chocolate Espresso Pudding Cake

Cake:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. unsweetened baking cocoa
1 Tbsp. instant espresso coffee
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup skim milk
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
Pudding:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. unsweetened baking cocoa
1 tsp. instant espresso coffee
1 1/2 cups warm skim milk (120 to 130 degrees)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In medium bowl, mix flour, 3/4 cups sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa, 1 tablespoon espresso, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, melted butter and vanilla until well blended. Spread in ungreased 9-inch square pan. In small bowl, mix all pudding ingredients except milk; sprinkle evenly over cake batter. Pour very warm milk over sugar mixture. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until center is set and firm to the touch. To serve , spoon warm cake into dessert dishes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael,
Where do you find instant espresso in the KC area? Do you have a favorite brand?

Just found your blog. Will be checking in often!

Gardener

cookinginkc said...

I just buy it at my local grocery store, I purchase whatever i can find.

Gardener said...

OK--I think I'm close to finding out where to find instant espresso! I'm from out of town, so if I'm going to come to KC to purchase it (it would be an 80-100 mile round trip), it would really help to know where I'm heading. I see in Monday's blog that you mentioned Green Acres Market at Briarcliffe. Would they have it? BTW, Trader Joe's is a favorite of mine, too. Wish they weren't so far away!

Gardener

Gardener said...

OK--I think I'm close to finding out where to find instant espresso! I'm from out of town, so if I'm going to come to KC to purchase it (it would be an 80-100 mile round trip), it would really help to know where I'm heading. I see in Monday's blog that you mentioned Green Acres Market at Briarcliffe. Would they have it? BTW, Trader Joe's is a favorite of mine, too. Wish they weren't so far away!

Gardener

cookinginkc said...

Wow taht's a drive. I don't know if they have it at Green Acres, I have purchaced it at Hy Vee and Price Chopper. You may want to call ahead and find out who has it or get it off the internet.

Gardener said...

I'll make those calls. Thanks for your help with my quest :)

Nice blog on panettone today! I didn't know anyone really ever made them at home! I've never tasted fresh panettone...and now I have no excuse not to.