Thursday, March 1, 2007

Mexican Cornbread Casserole

The following recipe came from a box of cornbread stuffing. When I saw the recipe I thought it sounded simple and good , which is something we all need on week nights. While not one of the best casseroles I've ever had it certainly wasn't the best. I substituted the ground beef with a mild pork sausage. I don't really think that was the problem, the problem lies with the recipe itself. It calls for sprinkling the seasoning packet over the meat mixture after you place it in the baking dish. this gives the casserole a grainy, crunchy and all around unpleasing texture. It would have worked better with the seasoning mixed into the soup mixture. I used lite sour cream in my recipe and sprinkled the top with 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I thought it might taste better the next day, but it didn't. Here is the recipe from the box.

Mexican Cornbread Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
1 (6oz.) package cornbread stuffing mix
1 (10.75 oz) can nacho cheese soup
8 oz. sour cream
1 (4.5) oz can chopped green chilies, undrained
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of a 9x13 casserole. (I used an 8x11.5 casserole, the other was too big.) Brown ground beef in a skillet; drain. Place beef into casserole; sprinkle with seasoning pouch. In medium bowl, stir together soup, sour cream, green chilies and water. Reserve 1/2 cup dry stuffing crumbs for later use. Sprinkle remaining stuffing crumbs evenly over ground beef. Pour soup mixture over stuffing. Sprinkle reserved stuffing crumbs over top of mixture. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Rachel Rubin said...

This looks like one of those really tasty comfort foods that is great for a cold night after a long work day.