Thursday, January 4, 2007

Hot Mulled Cider

One of my favorite shows on The Food Network is The Barefoot Contessa. Ina's holiday show featured some great food and I based my New Year's dinner on that show. She made a hot mulled cider that looked really good. I made it and it was! Everyone liked it. You can add rum to it, if you so desire, after you ladle it into the mugs. I'm not a fan of rum, but Ryan tried it that way and really liked it. Ina's recipe called for 6 star anise which I left out, because the grocery store did not have any. My recipe is below.

Hot Mulled Cider

1 gallon of really good apple cider
4 cinnamon sticks
2 oranges, peels and juice
8 whole cloves

Combine all ingredients in a stockpot and simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes. Ladle in to mugs and serve.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put a few of the pumpkin pie spices in my cider and it is so good. It kmakes the whole house smell fantastic.

cookinginkc said...

Gina,
That sounds good and easy!
Mike