Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Pasta and 2 Bean Soup

This is a soup recipe that I have recently adapted. While it is hearty, it is also lighter. The recipe called for 2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni, but I think you could easily get by using 1 cup uncooked or 1 1 1/2 cups, my pot was exploding with pasta. I'm a big pasta fan, but others might like less. I use Barilla whenever cooking with pasta. They have so many great kinds to try. For this recipe I used their elbow macaroni, I love the shape of theirs, they are a little twisted and twisted can be fun. You could also add escarole or spinach or even cooked chicken for a heartier soup.

Pasta and 2 Bean Soup

2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
2 tbs. olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14oz) can Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup frozen baby lima beans
1 (15 oz) can cannellinni beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbs fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
salt and pepper to taste
freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish

Cook pasta in salted water for 4 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and set aside. Saute onion in olive oil in soup pot, on low, for 5 to 6 minutes. Add red peppers and garlic; cook for 3 minutes more. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, lima beans, parsley, herbes de Provence and reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce haet and cover, simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Add cannellini beans and pasta. Continue to simmer on low for about 15 more minutes. Serve topped with Parmesan.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Have you ever made a butternut squash soap? My friend had some at one of my fav places in Brooklyn, it was Mexican style and had a bit of a bite. I was too shy to ask for the recipe like I have seen you do.

cookinginkc said...

I have mad butternut squash soup, but did not care for it. The soup was way too sweet for my tastes. Don't be shy about asking for recipes, it's a compliment to the cook. All she can do is say yes or no.

Anonymous said...

Nice post.
I came across a good natural weight loss plan while doing research on the internet. To check it out go to Healthy Weight Loss