Follow by Email

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Pasta and 2 Bean Soup

This is a soup recipe that I have recently adapted. While it is hearty, it is also lighter. The recipe called for 2 cups of uncooked elbow macaroni, but I think you could easily get by using 1 cup uncooked or 1 1 1/2 cups, my pot was exploding with pasta. I'm a big pasta fan, but others might like less. I use Barilla whenever cooking with pasta. They have so many great kinds to try. For this recipe I used their elbow macaroni, I love the shape of theirs, they are a little twisted and twisted can be fun. You could also add escarole or spinach or even cooked chicken for a heartier soup.

Pasta and 2 Bean Soup

2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
2 tbs. olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14oz) can Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup frozen baby lima beans
1 (15 oz) can cannellinni beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbs fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 tsp. Herbes de Provence
salt and pepper to taste
freshly grated parmesan cheese, for garnish

Cook pasta in salted water for 4 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta and set aside. Saute onion in olive oil in soup pot, on low, for 5 to 6 minutes. Add red peppers and garlic; cook for 3 minutes more. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, lima beans, parsley, herbes de Provence and reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce haet and cover, simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Add cannellini beans and pasta. Continue to simmer on low for about 15 more minutes. Serve topped with Parmesan.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Have you ever made a butternut squash soap? My friend had some at one of my fav places in Brooklyn, it was Mexican style and had a bit of a bite. I was too shy to ask for the recipe like I have seen you do.

Michael Tosatto said...

I have mad butternut squash soup, but did not care for it. The soup was way too sweet for my tastes. Don't be shy about asking for recipes, it's a compliment to the cook. All she can do is say yes or no.

Anonymous said...

Nice post.
I came across a good natural weight loss plan while doing research on the internet. To check it out go to Healthy Weight Loss

John Tiniakos said...

Great blog.
If you’re looking for helpful articles, tips and information on weight loss please visit my blog Weight Loss Tips

Anonymous said...

How many calories do we need each day? To learn more, please visit Weight Loss