Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Risotto

One of my favorite comfort foods is Risotto. It works as a great main dish or a nice side dish. I love the creaminess of the rice and the flavors that can be added to it. It's also much easier to prepare than a lot of people think. I once took a cooking class with the Italian Grandmas called Tutti a Tavola. They said that risotto should be put in the pot with all the liquid and lidded for twenty minutes without stirring. I don't cook it that way myself, I love the stirring and and such. For me it's therapy, like washing dishes or mowing the lawn. I will put my basic risotto recipe here. It's one that can be added too, depending on what you have on hand. Sauteed mushrooms, peas, grilled chicken, pancetta, pre-blanched asparagus; the possibilities are endless. Just add the ingredients in with the final addition of broth. You can use vegetable broth when making this, I prefer chicken.

Risotto

3 tbsp. olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
32 oz. chicken broth, simmering in separate sauce pan
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbs. fresh flat leaf parsley
1 tbs. unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste

In a heated skillet, add olive oil, then add shallots. Saute for 5 minutes. Add the rice and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the white wine and simmer on low, stirring until liquid is absorbed by the rice. Start adding the hot chicken broth about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup at a time, stirring frequently until absorbed. Continue until all the broth is added. This should take 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from heat; add butter and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

No comments: