Monday, February 12, 2007

Vodka Cream Tomato Sauce with Italian Sausage

The following is a vodka cream tomato sauce that I have been using lately. Last night I decided to add Italian sausage and mushrooms, both of which can be omitted. I serve the sauce over some Barilla Dried Ricotta and Spinach Tortelloni. It's great over any type of pasta and good in a baked pasta dish as well. If you don't use sausage make sure you use 1 tablespoon of olive oil to saute the shallot and garlic in.

Vodka Cream Sauce with Italian Sausage

1 lb. sweet bulk Italian sausage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 cup vodka
1 cup chicken broth
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes ( I use my hand immersion blender to puree them)
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
fresh basil, shredded

Heat a stock pot over moderate heat. Add sausage and brown, making sure to break up into bite size pieces. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon. Saute the garlic and shallots for 3 to 5 minutes in remaining fat. Add vodka to the pan and reduce by half. This should take about 5 minutes. Return sausage to pot along with broth, tomatoes and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in cream. When sauce returns to a bubble, remove from heat. Toss hot pasta with basil and hot sauce.

1 comment:

Rachel Rubin said...

i LOOOVVVEEEE Vodka cream sauce. I have a great recipe and I make it often when I entertain. I have never added Italian sausage though . . . I bet that give it a nice twist. Especially if it is hot Italian. I think I have had sometime similar at a restaurant.