Monday, May 14, 2007

My Favorite Cole Slaw

I love cole slaw, especially the vinegary type. When I was young, this was the type my Granny made and I always referred to it as the wet slaw. I typically chop the cabbage by hand, but decided to try the 1 pound pre-cut bag out to save time. It actually worked out well.

Cole Slaw

1 (1 lb.) medium head cabbage, shredded
1 cup white onion, chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. mustard seed
1 (2 oz) jar chopped pimientos
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper

Combine cabbage, onion and green pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pour boiling water over all. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain into a colander.
Combine sugar, vinegar, oil, celery and mustard seed and whisk. Add to cabbage mixture. Stir in pimientos, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

1 comment:

mickey said...

Delicious-I usually make creamy, but this was a terrific change.