Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Quick Tomato Sauce

When I made the pizza last night, I used Julee Rosso's sauce recipe from Great Good Food. I changed it just a bit. I used 2 cloves of chopped garlic instead of 2 tablespoons. I used one 15-oz can of tomato sauce and one 14.5-oz Fire Roasted diced tomatoes instead of 1 28-oz. can of plum tomatoes. The I added a teaspoon of sugar, which is not in the recipe. I will post the recipe as it reads in the book though. I topped my pizza with thinly sliced prosciutto and slices of fresh mozzarella. It was like being in Italy! The flavor was so fresh.

Quick Tomato Sauce

1 tsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. slivered garlic
1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes
3 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a medium size skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until lightly browned. Do not overcook or sauce will be bitter. Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Add the basil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 to 30 minutes or until reduced to about 2 cups. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: