Thursday, August 30, 2007

Broccoli-Mascarpone Soup



I have had this recipe for sometime and decided that last night was the night to try it. BIG MISTAKE!! This soup was so bland and flavorless and that was after I tried beefing it up somewhat. It was a waste of my time and a waste of some really good mascarpone. I added a minced clove of garlic to mine when I added the broccoli and probably should have added three. I ended up drizzling some truffle oil into it and some grated Parmesan cheese at the end. This recipe came from either Bon Appetit or Gourmet and was an overall disappointment. I will post the recipe as It was printed in the magazine, but I don't recommend making it.
Broccoli-Mascarpone Soup
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 cups sliced shallots (about 6 large)
1 1/2 lbs. broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) mascarpone cheese, divided
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add shallots; saute 3 minutes. Add broccoli; saute 1 minute. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
Working in batches, transfer soup to blender; puree until smooth. (I used an immersion blender, so much faster). Return to pot. Reserve 1/4 cup mascarpone in small bowl; cover and chill. Whisk 1 1/4 cups mascarpone and cayenne pepper into soup. Season with salt.
Ladle into bowls. Garnish with reserved mascarpone and chopped chives. Serve.

No comments: