Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lemon Basil Risotto




This is a recipe that I adapted from Cooking Light some time ago. My copy had "Good" written at the top and was even underlined twice. I decided to make it for dinner last night, because it seemed summery and I needed the comfort food factor. It has a fresh tomato topping on it that is similar to my Fresh No-Cook Tomato Pasta Sauce and I remember the lemon being a nice addition. Well, when I made it last night it did not do it for me. The lemon was way too strong and drowned out all the other flavors. Needless to say, this dish did not do it for me this time and I doubt I would try it again.
Lemon-Basil Risotto
Topping:
1 cup tomato, seeded and chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
Dash of sugar
Dash of salt
Dash of black pepper
Risotto:
2 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 (32 oz) box less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
For the topping, combine first 8 ingredients. Cover and let stand at room temperature. To prepare risotto, bring chicken broth to a simmer in a saucepan. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add rice;cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in wine and cook until liquid is absorbed. Stir in salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Start adding chicken broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until absorbed and continue until all the broth has been used, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in cheese, juice, zest and basil. Serve in bowls with tomato topping spooned over.

No comments: