Monday, September 3, 2007

Alder Plank Salmon



This weekend, I decided to try out something other than a cedar plank for salmon. We had bought an assortment of planks from Restoration Hardware and one of them was alder wood. When we were in Seattle, it seemed that this was the wood used in a lot of the restaurants , so that was the plank I used this time. It really did impart a different taste to the fish, which I actually preferred, it was not as strong as cedar.
Like the cedar, you let the plank soak in water prior to grilling and I place it on the grill without the fish to let it heat up first. I marinated the salmon with the juice of 1 lemon, 1 orange and a 1/2 cup of white wine along with the zest of the lemon and orange. Before placing it on the plank, I salt and pepper the salmon. When the salmon was finished I topped it with chopped flat leaf parsley and chopped chives.

No comments: