Thursday, September 13, 2007

Cafe Trio

I have held off on posting about my last dining experience at Cafe Trio because it was not that great of an experience. Dan and I have eaten there on numerous occasions and had great food and service , but this was obviously an off night.
We went with a group of friends, Tracy, Stacy, Cheryl and our friend Dan, to celebrate Tracy's birthday. It didn't hurt that Cafe Trio sent me a free meal coupon for my birthday and August 18th was the last day I could use it.
We started off with a couple of bottles of wine, one Pinot Grigio and one Merlot, which were both reasonably priced at $24 and both good.Tracy and I started with Ricky Martin martinis to celebrate our birthdays. They were nice and fruity and priced at $8.00. We ordered the Baked Brie ($10) which was a little over baked and runny and the Spinach and Artichoke Dip ($8) which was good.
For our dinners, my Dan and Cheryl ordered the Pesto Penne ($18), which was a large bowl of penne pasta with grilled chicken, artichokes, asparagus tips, cherry tomatoes, feta and pine nuts in a creamy pesto sauce. They both enjoyed their meals and had quite a bit leftover to take home.
Tracy ordered the Pistachio Encrusted Tilapia ($24), a talapia filet topped with ground pistachios and served with a raspberry chipotle chutney. She liked this dish and the bite I had was very good. Stacy had the Pan Seared Halibut ($28) a nice piece of halibut served with sauteed spinach, caramelized onions, feta grits and a roasted tomato coulis. She loved her fish and highly recommended it.
Dan had the Rack of Lamb ($27), it was roasted lamb encrusted in spices and stone ground mustard. This was very underwhelming and overcooked in the center. I had the 16 oz. KC Strip Steak Gorgonzola ($28) a strip steak topped with Gorgonzola cheese and a mushroom and artichoke sauce. I ordered mine medium rare and it came out rare. The sauce on top also overwhelmed the steak and was just an ugly dish.
As the busboy cleared away the plates, he dropped a big glob of butter down Cheryl's back. Without any apology he just started wiping it off and walked away. The waitress, Pam, also seemed to be a little flighty and not quite altogether. I will eat here again, because I have ordered things that I like and the atmosphere is nice. The place is always packed on the weekends and they have some great live music.They are located at 3535 Broadway KCMO 816-756-3227 www.cafetriokc. com. Make reservations to ensure a table, especially on the weekends.

No comments: