Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Bowtie Pasta w/ Chicken, Peas & Mushrooms



Last night was one of those clean out the cupboards type of dinners. Since my son was in town for the weekend, I did not spend any time searching for recipes to prepare in the coming week and had not graced the doors of my grocery store in over a week. There are certain things I always have on hand and I thought I would put them to use here. This is actually one of my favorite pastas, I usually make it with fresh mushrooms and peas, but thought I would use up some of the chicken in the freezer.
I took 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them into bite sized pieces, seasoned them with salt and pepper and browned them in hot pepper olive oil over medium heat. Turn down the heat and add one 4 oz. can of sliced mushrooms, drained. Add 1 cup of thawed frozen peas and 2 cloves of chopped garlic. At this point I add 1/2 pound of cooked bowtie pasta and stir to mix. Add more olive oil if needed and salt to taste. Serve it with chopped fresh basil and freshly grated cheese. I used Piave Vecchio, which is my all time favorite cheese, but any dry , hard Italian cheese would work.

No comments: