Friday, December 21, 2007

1924 main Kansas City, MO

I finally made it 1924!! Last night, Dan took me there for dinner and was it ever good. I have to say that it was one of the best meals that I have ever eaten, this place really has it going on. The menu was set up into 3 courses for $36 or $56 with wines paired with each serving.
I chose the Saffron Arancine with Chorizo Bolognese for my beginning. This was 3 fried risotto balls in a wonderful, spicy bolognese with olives and Parmesan cheese. The wine that was served with this was a 2004 Paneretta Chianti Classico from Italy. Dan had the Butter Lettuce Salad with sarta chorizo, radish, sherry vinaigrette and polenta croutons. This was served with a 2005 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc from Clarksburg. Both of our starters were wonderful, but Dan's salad was the best.
For my middle course I had the Forever Braised Short Ribs with Parmesan polenta, balsamic braised radicchio and crispy fried onions. This was paired with a 2006 Torbeck Wood Cutter's Shiraz from Australia. This dish was incredibly good. The ribs were cooked to perfection and the combination of flavors was awesome. Dan had the Ribeye with garlic potatoes, pancetta creamed chard (YUM), fried green tomatoes and a Cabernet sauce. This was paired with a 2005 Castle Rock Cabernet from Napa Valley. The combination of flavors and textures in both of these dishes were wonderful. We also loved that fact that the amount of food was just right, no overloading the plates here.
For my ending I had the Espresso Pot de Creme with chocolate shortbread, cinnamon creme fraiche and chocolate Kahlua sauce. This was paired with a wonderful Rutherglen Muscat from Australia. Dan chose the Pineapple Spiced Rum Crepe Suzette with cream cheese ice cream and a coconut macaroon. This was served with a Chateau Hallet Sauternes from France.
Very good service, wonderful atmosphere and great food! This was a great holiday dining experience that was ended with a drive through the Plaza to see the lights. I could not have had a better gift for Christmas.
The restaurant is located at 1924 Main, Kansas City MO 816-472-1924.

No comments: