Friday, December 7, 2007

Tomato Sauce for Meatballs

I never make my tomato sauce the same way twice, but have been trying to keep track of the ingredients now that I have started blogging. My Mother makes the best sauce and I have been trying to replicate her's ever since I started cooking. She never used a recipe, but I would stand there with her as she cooked, so I picked up some of her skill. I made this sauce in the the same skillet as the meatballs, I just drained the fat and went from there. The meatball recipe can be found here Meatballs in Tomato Sauce . If I had made this sauce without the meatballs, I would have cooked the garlic in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.



Tomato Sauce for Meatballs


1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (28 oz) can tomato puree
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper



Add the garlic to pan and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 30 more minutes.
Note: Tomato sauce always tastes better the next day. If you have the time and energy make the sauce a day ahead and then reheat it.

No comments: