Thursday, January 3, 2008

El Torito-Woodland Hills, CA


While I was in California with Ryan on Saturday, he was in the mood for Mexican, so we headed for El Torito. El Torito is a California based casual Mexican food place and the decor is pretty typical for a Mexican restaurant.
Our server arrived at the table with chips and salsa and took our drink orders. The chips were good and the salsa was excellent. The salsa was thick and had just the right amount of heat. Our drinks arrived and my iced tea was fruit flavored, which seems to be the going way to serve it in California. Personally, I like my iced tea to taste like regular tea, that fruity stuff doesn't cut it with me. Plus, if you serve flavored tea, you should say you serve flavored tea.
For lunch, Ryan ordered the Picadillo Burrito ($8.99). It was beef, refried beans, jack cheese, lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, tortilla strips and salsa wrapped in a large flour tortilla and covered in a guajillo chile sauce, crema fresca, onions and cilantro. It was served with refried beans and rice. He loved it and ate every bit.
I ordered the Rolled Grilled Tacos ($9.99). This was a very interesting dish and consisted of a lot of food. You get 2 tacos filled with chicken, 2 with steak and cheese and 2 with marinated veggies. they were served with a wonderful slightly sweet and spicy red pepper dip. The tacos were rolled and grilled and served with some nicely flavored, soupy beans and rice. I loved the chicken and the vegetable tacos, but thought the steak ones were so-so. It was a lot of food and I could only eat half of it.
Overall, I liked the food and the service was okay. They are located at 6040 Canoga Ave. Woodland Hills, CA.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I HATE fruit flavored tea...they serve it in alot of places here too. I always ask to make sure my tea is plain.