Monday, July 30, 2007

California Barbecued Beans


My June/July 2007 issue of Cook's Country has turned out to be one of my most used cooking magazines ever. They featured a meal that included beans, grilled tri-tip and salsa all of which I decided to cook yesterday and it was all good. The bean recipe called for pink kidney beans, but my only choices were red or red, so I chose red. the salsa called for 1 celery rib chopped fine, but I omitted that because Dan does not like celery. The beef recipe called for a tri-tip roast, but said that a bottom round would be an acceptable alternative if you could not find a tri-tip and I could not find one. The meal was great and the beans were very different from the typical baked beans that I am used to. I would definitely prepare these again.

California Barbecued Beans

4 slices bacon, chopped fine
1/2 lb. deli ham, chopped fine
1 onion , chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound pink kidney beans, soaked overnight and drained
6 cups water
1 cup canned tomato puree
1/2 cup bottled taco sauce
5 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
1 tbsp. dry mustard
salt
1/4 chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp. cider vinegar

Cook bacon and ham in Dutch oven over medium heat until fat renders and pork is lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans and water and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook until beans are just soft, about 1 hour.
Stir in tomato puree, taco sauce, sugar, mustard and 2 teaspoons salt. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until beans are completely tender and sauce is thickened, about 1 hour. Stir in cilantro and vinegar and season with salt. Serve. Can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.

No comments: