Monday, June 4, 2007

Caprese


Ahh, summer is upon us and one of my favorite things to serve is a nice caprese salad. Even those these tomatoes were not home grown, they still tasted great. The first time I had a caprese salad was in Italy and it always takes me back when I serve it at dinner. While our tomatoes pale in comparison to what you eat over there, the addition of the oil and balsamic vinegar help with the flavor. I added a handful of mixed cherry tomatoes to the center of the plate, because I had them on hand and it made for a nice presentation.

Caprese

1 lb. tomatoes, sliced thin
8 oz fresh mozzarella sliced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Arrange tomatoes and cheese on plate, overlapping every other one. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and basil. Drizzle with oil and vinegar.

No comments: