Thursday, December 7, 2006

Asparagus Cream Soup

This is a recipe I adapted from watching Emeril Lagasse. I did not have the same ingredients and chose to make it a little differently. It turned out great. The stores in my area have had some really good asparagus, so I thought this would be a great cold night dinner! We love to eat asparagus and I'm always trying to come up with different ways to eat it. I use garlic twice, it is not a type-o. It looks complicated, but it is simple. I try to do only easy recipes. This one does have a few steps, but it is well worth it.

Asparagus Cream Soup

2 lbs. fresh asparagus, rinsed
6 cups low sodium, low fat chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, smashed
3 tbs. unsalted butter
1 small white onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1 cup half & half
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated

Trim the top tips from the asparagus. Cut the woody stem ends and reserve. Cut the remaining tender stalks into 1/2" pieces. In a medium pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add the woody stems and smashed garlic. Simmer, 20 to 30 minutes, to infuse with flavor. Remove stems and garlic with slotted spoon and discard. Add the tips to the broth, blanch until tender, about 1 minute. Remove with a stainer and refresh in ice water bath. Drain on paper towels and reserve. Reserve broth. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. When foamy, add chopped onion and cook about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add chopped asparagus, salt and pepper, and cook 2 minutes while stirring. Add the broth and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until asparagus is tender. Remove from heat. With hand-immersion blender or in batches in food processor, puree until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste. Return to heat, add 1/2 and 1/2, white wine and asparagus tips. Warm soup, about 3 minutes. Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

Bob said...

Cut the fat in half, cut the calories in Half, How?, Z-Trim

I read about a natural fat replacement ingredient called Z Trim on page 90 of the book “You on a Diet” by Oprah’s doctor, Mehmet Oz. I ordered off of the Z Trim web site and have been cooking with it for a few weeks now. It works and its easy. It lowers calories by replacing portions of the oils, butter, and other fats. It also adds fiber to foods, because it basically is corn fiber made into a gel that works like fat in most cooking. They say it is undetectable, and that’s true. My cooking tastes like it always did. I’ve lost some weight, slowly. It’s a sensible approach and its natural. I eat what I want; it tastes as good as it always did, and I’m finally “right-sizing” my body. A total win-win.