Thursday, December 7, 2006

Oatmeal Cake

This is one of those things I remember from childhood. My Granny would make this recipe and I loved it. I came across a version of it that is as close to hers as possible. Granny was a great cook, but would not share her recipes!! I have a few of my own that I will hold on to forever. It's a great recipe, good comfort food!!

Oatmeal Cake

1 1/4 cups water
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Icing:
3 tbsp. butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup. chopped pecans
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan, remove from heat. Add the oats and let stand for 20 minutes. Combine shortening, sugars, and eggs; add to oatmeal after letting it stand. Add flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to oat mixture. Pour batter into greased baking dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Combine icing ingredients and mix well. Spread on warm cake and place under broiler until topping is light brown. Watch carefully so that it does not burn!!

No comments: