Follow by Email

Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Pea Salad

When I was younger and married, my ex-wife would make things for family gatherings like all good young wives. My family, being my family, pretty much hated anything she made. She wasn't that great of a cook, but other than the carrot souffle she brought once, I thought she did just fine. One thing she made that was a huge hit, was this recipe for pea salad. I did not even remember the recipe when my mom asked for a copy recently. I called Judy and got the recipe from her and here it is.

Pea Salad

1 can french cut green beans, drained
1 can Lucerne peas, drained
1 can shoe peg corn, drained
1 cup celery, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 small jar pimentos, drained
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Combine the vegetables in a bowl. In a medium saucepan, add sugar, vinegar and salt, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let it cool. Add the oil. Pour over the vegetables. Let stand in the refrigerator for 12 hours before serving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My GOD!!! The infamous carrot casserole!!! That was funny!

Gina

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha. I can't believe that you guys didn't like that carrot casserole. If anyone wants the recipe, which featured smoked cheddar cheese, just let me know.

Debby Starr said...

Judy may not can make a good carrot casserole but she sure can make a mean taco salad!!!!