Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Pea Salad

When I was younger and married, my ex-wife would make things for family gatherings like all good young wives. My family, being my family, pretty much hated anything she made. She wasn't that great of a cook, but other than the carrot souffle she brought once, I thought she did just fine. One thing she made that was a huge hit, was this recipe for pea salad. I did not even remember the recipe when my mom asked for a copy recently. I called Judy and got the recipe from her and here it is.

Pea Salad

1 can french cut green beans, drained
1 can Lucerne peas, drained
1 can shoe peg corn, drained
1 cup celery, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 small jar pimentos, drained
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Combine the vegetables in a bowl. In a medium saucepan, add sugar, vinegar and salt, bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let it cool. Add the oil. Pour over the vegetables. Let stand in the refrigerator for 12 hours before serving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My GOD!!! The infamous carrot casserole!!! That was funny!

Gina

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha. I can't believe that you guys didn't like that carrot casserole. If anyone wants the recipe, which featured smoked cheddar cheese, just let me know.

Anonymous said...

Judy may not can make a good carrot casserole but she sure can make a mean taco salad!!!!